Slow Cooker - Beef Chilli Recipe!
The weathers still pretty poor - which means we're still very much in love with our slow cooker at home and for more reasons than 1....
• it saves time - we throw everything in it before we leave for work and the school run and come home to a dinner that feels like we haven't had to do anything!
• Less dishes to wash - less arguments.
• The typically tougher ingredients become softer and tender over the long cooking time.
Here's one of our favourite recipes you can try at home this week
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds (680g) beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 5 cups (1.18L) chicken stock
- 2 cups (230g) chopped onion
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped chillies
- 1 pound (454g) dried pinto beans, unsoaked
- 1 14.5-ounce (411g) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup (114g) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup (57g) radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (35g) green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup (35g) fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add beef and cook, turning occasionally until browned on all sides, 6–8 minutes.
Spoon beef into slow cooker. Stir in chicken stock, onion, garlic, chilli powder, chopped chillies, beans and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low until beef and beans are tender, 7–8 hours.
Ladle chilli evenly into bowls. Top with sour cream, radishes, green onions and cilantro.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: About 1 1/4 cups chilli and 1 tablespoon sour cream
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 339; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Sodium: 281mg; Carbohydrate: 20g; Dietary Fibre: 4g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 24g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 923mg; Iron: 32%; Vitamin A: 25%; Vitamin C: 52%; Calcium: 30%